Land and property VAT for professional practices
Real estate practitioners will frequently come across the complex VAT issues that can arise when their clients are buying and selling land. Often, apparently innocuous, last-minute changes to terms can have a significant effect on the VAT position of the buyer, seller, or both.
Our short seminar is designed to give delegates the confidence to have initial conversations about VAT, and to understand when to advise their clients to take more detailed advice.
What you will learn about
- Recent developments in case law and HMRC policy.
- The option to tax, including how and when to exercise it as well as when an option can be disapplied.
- Can the sale qualify as a transfer of a going concern (TOGC), what procedures need to be put in place to achieve this, why this matters, and how the recent Robinson Family, IMSL and Royal College of Paediatrics cases have changed interpretation?
- How does VAT apply to lease premiums, reverse premiums, surrenders, reverse surrenders, sub-leases and assignments?
- Ground rents, service charges, and other payments from tenants.
- Are services ‘land related’? Recent updates to guidance and why this matters – including for your own fees.
Who should attend
- Estate agents
- Individuals advising on the buying and selling of land
The cost of this seminar is £100 plus VAT. An invoice will be issued once registration is complete.
This course is not aimed at finance staff in professional firms. We run separate VAT taxes issues seminars for finance staff in professional firms. For information on our next course please contact Julie Cason.
10 Salisbury Square
London EC4Y 8EH