Consultation on the taxation of self-funded training
Join us and HMT/HMRC for a roundtable to discuss
The government published a consultation on the taxation of self-funded training. The consultation explores whether and how to extend the scope of tax relief currently available to employees and the self-employed for work-related training costs. The consultation closes on 8 June 2018.
The government wants to gain an understanding of:
- how it can best learn the lessons from previous initiatives, such as vocational training tax relief in the 1990s, and tax deductions for training in other countries
- how it could design an extension to the existing tax relief that focuses on supporting good quality training for those wanting to upskill or retrain, particularly those who want or need to change career
- how it could design an extension that prevents misuse on recreational activities, is sustainable for the public finances, and is simple to understand and administer.
HM Treasury/HMRC are keen to hear your views on the taxation of self-funded training. We have arranged a roundtable at our offices on Tuesday 22 May from 15:00 to discuss.
- an overview of the current position
- areas for discussion (as detailed above).
15:00 Registration and coffee
There is no cost to attend this event.
For further information, please contact Christine Jarrett.
St Bride's House
10 Salisbury Square
London EC4Y 8EH